feature requests

Jonah Hex #1 (Comic Book Forums)

• Jonah Hex #1

Author Discussion
  • Posted: October 11, 2014 2:24:41 am
  • I picked up a copy of Jonah Hex #1 (1977) from Half Price Books for what I hope was a good price ($12.50). Would it be worth it to get it graded, and if so, what do you think it would be graded?

• Posted: October 11, 2014 7:19:03 am
  • I wouldn't bother getting it graded. It looks like a 6.5-7.0 IMO. Not a bad grab though.
  • Posted: October 11, 2014 9:43:39 am
  • Ok thanks
  • Posted: October 11, 2014 3:05:15 pm
  • Here is a better view of the comic (You can see full size from this site)
  • Posted: October 12, 2014 1:52:57 am
  • Nice book, but I have to agree with tangledwebs. The weird thing I've noticed about (most) pro-graded books is, that unless they're in the "9.2 or higher" range, they have the same value as their "raw" counterparts. So, unless a book is in EXCELLENT condition, you'll gain nothing from having it graded.

Essentially you'd be paying the fee for having it graded but receive no return on investment. Only reason to grade a book otherwise would just be the reward of seeing your book in a fancy slab, but there's nothing wrong with that, lol. Very Happy
  • Posted: October 12, 2014 10:45:49 am
  • Thanks for the tip. I am still considering it, since I did only pay $12.50 for it, it may be worth it in the long run if I ever do decide to sell it.
  • Posted: October 13, 2014 9:07:50 am
  • I'll have to retract my 1st grade opinion. The second set of pics were much better, The DC logo on the 1st set looked faded and wrinkled and the colors looked dull, so it's in better shape than 1st shown. I'd say 8.0 or possibly better. Nice book! ( I still wouldn't CGC it though )
  • Posted: December 1, 2014 8:41:37 am
  • Its hard to tell but i would say its close to Fine to Very fineCool
  • Posted: December 4, 2014 12:15:47 am
  • I would agree around an 7.5 to 8.0, always remember its the complete book that you need to grade. So what are the pages looking like. Nice book. Remember it is what some one is willing to pay for that makes the grade true.
  • Posted: December 25, 2014 10:51:26 am
  • Even at a very fine 8.0 grade it would still be a $100 comic. With what you paid if you have no intention of reading it, I would say get it graded. should the grade come back 7.5 or higher it's a win for you because it will always be that grade as long as the slab is unopened.

It's easily one of the nicer copies I have seen in the last 25 years.
    Don't read my blogs! Unless of course you want to learn something...
12 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Image Comics's Astro City: MetroBook TPB # 5
  • Killer Comics's Crucifix Executioner Issue # 6
  • AC's Mechanical Dead Issue # 3
  • Marvel Comics's Ultimate Spider-Man Issue # 3f